ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Helping kids be kids and families stay together
In 1947, Morrison Child and Family Services was founded by a group of compassionate citizens and physicians committed to providing mental health services for children in the community. Dr. Carl Morrison, one of Oregon’s first child psychiatrists, served as Morrison’s Executive Director for 25 years. In its first year, the Portland Community Child Guidance Clinic, as it was called, served 216 cases from a modest house in downtown Portland.
In 1972, the clinic name was changed to The Morrison Center, in honor of Dr. Morrison’s many years of dedicated service. Throughout the 70s, Morrison began offering programs for children in the juvenile system and became a major provider of and advocate for clinical psychologists. Staff increased twelve-fold to meet the growing demand for services and a second clinic in Gresham was established to work with east county children and families.
In the 80s, Morrison Center experienced significant growth as a result of the organization’s focus on innovative program design. Morrison Center created alternatives to traditional, more expensive institutional care, beginning with programs like the Hand in Hand Day Treatment program and the Counterpoint and Breakthrough programs.
In April 2003, Morrison Center became Morrison Child and Family Services, reflecting the fact that Morrison was comprised of many locations, not a single “center,” and that the organization had grown in size, scope and capacity to serve Oregon’s children and families.
Today, Morrison Child and Family Services serves over 8,000 children and families with a staff of approximately 430 employees and an annual operating budget of $28 million.
Our mission is to help kids be kids and families stay together.