ABOUT THE FOUNDATION FOR SMFM'S VIRTUAL RACE FOR RESEARCH CAMPAIGN
THANKS TO OUR PLATINUM SPONSOR
The Foundation for SMFM’s Virtual Race for Research is back! Get moving starting January 1 and log 40 "miles" for the Foundation for SMFM with your favorite fitness activity! The 2023 #RaceForResearch supports the Foundation’s vision: advancing equitable and optimal pregnancy care by fostering career development through research and education.
This virtual race is the perfect opportunity to connect with your MFM colleagues and enjoy some friendly competition leading up to and during SMFM’s 43rd Annual Pregnancy Meeting™ in San Francisco, California (whether or not you can attend).
Who can participate? Anyone!
The #RaceForResearch is not just for runners. We invite runners, walkers, cyclists, golfers, swimmers, dancers, hikers, rowers, and anyone ready to get moving to support the Foundation. So, invite your office staff, family, and friends to participate! Register individually, pay it forward and purchase a registration for a Resident or Fellow, or create a team with your practice or your division/department. Each team can set its fundraising and fitness goals while contributing to the overall campaign goal (refer to the FAQs below for information on creating a team).
How does my participation help support the Foundation?
Foundation for SMFM programs helps to launch, expand, and change the careers of MFMs. In 2020, we awarded over $360,000 in funding to MFMs and those aspiring to enter the field. Your support of the Foundation is vital to our program’s continued success and operations.
How do I get started?
Register today! Then, beginning January 1, move any way you like and start logging your activity to earn “miles” and compete. Each mile you complete will help the Foundation reach our goals of 25,000 miles and $75,000. We challenge participants to hit 40 miles before the race concludes on February 8. Every single mile goes toward a good cause.
• You will be prompted to select an Activity Type when you register. You may choose any option (e.g., walk, run, bike, other) and rotate your activities throughout the race since your participation is not limited to these activities. Please refer to the Activity Conversion Chart below for activities that cannot be measured in steps or miles. If you don't see your favorite activity, use it as a guide (we trust you to use your judgment). You can Enter your “miles” into the app or platform by manually entering the distance or syncing your activities from your fitness tracker or smartwatch.
• Watch your email in December for pre-race reminders and bib information.
• Sync your Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch, Google Fit, Misfit, or Strava by January 1. No wearable? No problem. Download the free Charity Footprints app on iOS or Android to track your progress. Refer to the How It Works and FAQs sections below for more information on how to set up your device.
• Connect with your social network. Post that you’ve registered for the #RaceForResearch. After the race has started, share your progress on social media and the race platform’s scrapbook page by posting pictures and short videos of you – wearing your bib – to spread the word and invite folks to support your progress by donating. Tag @FNDNforSMFM and @MySMFM, and add the #RaceForResearch hashtag to your posts to start a social media movement!
• Keep an eye on this site to stay up to date on our fitness and fundraising progress. Watch the leaderboard to see how you compare with your colleagues and friends.
Celebrate your achievement.
Top finishers and fundraisers will be recognized during the Foundation’s Celebration Event at the Annual Meeting: “Together, We Are M-F-M: Mentors, Friends, Memories!” on Thursday, February 9, 2023.
Race for Research participants with a donation of $100 or more who attend the Annual Meeting will receive a thank-you gift, which can be picked up at Registration (located in the Main Lobby, 1st Floor of Moscone West Convention Center).
The Foundation for SMFM launches, expands, and continues the careers of maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) specialists. In 2020, we awarded over $360,000 in funding to MFMs and those aspiring to enter the field. Your support of the Foundation is vital to our program’s continued success and operations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Charity Footprints?
Charity Footprints is a social enterprise that connects fitness and charitable giving. We empower people just like you, to get fit & give back.
Our Virtual Races allow non-profits to challenge their patrons to run, walk or ride and raise funds just as they would in a fundraising walkathon. The best part - charities save over 45% in event and logistical costs. So, the dollars that you pay to register or fundraise, go farther.
What is the campaign registration fee?
Campaign registration fee is the amount that you'll need to pay to enroll in this virtual race. This fee (less transaction charges) will go to the non-profit running this campaign as a donation.
The registration fee along with the funds raised through your individual fundraising page will enable the non-profit to fund various programs and pursue their organization's mission.
How can I create my fundraising page?
Well, you wouldn't have to create a separate fundraising page. Once you register for this campaign, we'll give you the link to your fundraising page.
While registering for the campaign, select the team you'd like to join or create a new team and invite others to #GetFitGiveBack with you. If you want to join a team (or create your team) after registration, login to the campaign site and you would find a link to edit "My Team" in the menu under your profile in the header.
I am an international donor (non-US), what are my donation charges and tax-deductibility?
All donations are made in US dollars, so the donations may be levied an exchange rate fee via your bank. Donors will want to connect with their bank to determine exactly what that fee may be. Additionally, international donors will need to reach out to a tax professional to discuss if and how tax deductibility will apply to their donation.
Who can sponsor my fundraising efforts?
The short answer is - everyone. The fundraising research shows that the number one reason for people not donating is that they weren't asked to.
That said, there are things you can do to attract people to sponsor you. Adding a picture to your fundraising page, telling potential donors why this cause is so personal to you, sharing your fundraising page on social media, email, and chat groups.
Last, if your employer has a gift matching program, check with the human resources department to support your favorite cause as well.
Who can I contact if I need help?
You can contact us any time if you need help. We love hearing from our users so please don't hesitate to write to us about issues, suggestions, or to just say hi. You can also contact the non-profit administrator directly if you would like.
How do I change or switch my team?
If you want to join a team (or create your team) after registration, login to the campaign site and you would find a link to edit "My Team" in the menu under your profile in the header.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
------ x ------
CHARITY FOOTPRINTS, INC.
We're committed to making this world healthy, generous & happy by promoting fitness and encouraging charitable giving.