ABOUT CELEBRATE THE MOVEMENT CAMPAIGN
Celebrate the Movement is a virtual fitness and fundraising challenge for the week of September 26 through October 3, 2020. You pick the activity and set your goal.
Special Olympics is a global movement that unleashes the human spirit through the transformative power and joy of sport, every day around the world. Through programming in sports, health, education and community building, Special Olympics is changing the lives of people with intellectual disabilities solving the global injustice, isolation, intolerance and inactivity they face.
During this pandemic, the athletes of Special Olympics Rhode Island have had their world turned upside down. As more of their activities have been taken away from them, our athletes have come to rely upon their Special Olympics Rhode Island family to be there for them. Even through these challenging times, we promote their physical and emotional health virtually, and are carefully planning to return to play with strict guidelines in place.
Special Olympics Rhode Island has developed a new and innovative way to stay fit, be socially responsible and will allow you to support our great athletes. For example, maybe you’ll run a marathon distance in one week. Then ask everyone you know to support you through your fundraising page. It’s easy and lots of fun to reach your goals!
Stay involved with the Special Olympics movement and like-minded fitness enthusiasts while meeting socially-distanced activity goals for a great cause!
- Who: YOU! Invite your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers to take part in the challenge (at a safe distance) or to donate to your fundraising page. You can even form a team or invite a team that you are on to participate!
- What: Set a goal to run, walk, cycle or do other fitness activities. Track your progress on your favorite wearable tracker or on the Charity Footprints app.
- Where: Celebrate the Movement takes place wherever you are! You’ll also help us to “virtually” move all the way around the state of Rhode Island!
- When: Celebrate the Movement takes place from September 26 through October 3. You can sign up and ask people to help you reach your fundraising goals. Then complete your activity anytime and anywhere between September 26 through October 3.
- Can I sponsor this event? Yes! Please contact Pat at Special Olympics Rhode Island firstname.lastname@example.org or call (401) 349-4900
How do I get started?
- Choose your activity and fundraising goals. The list below will give you some ideas. Then decide how much you’d like to raise. Challenge yourself and set a goal worth your time! We’ll be having contests for those who reach their goals, with prizes to be announced in September.
- Register here to set up your fundraising and activity tracking page. It’s really easy, and really fun to get your friends and family involved!
- Sign up to honor or “support an athlete” you know. Just as you are inspired by an athlete, those you ask for donations will be inspired too.
- Form a team if you want! Stay socially distant but compete virtually with each other, or against other teams!
- Use social media to get word out and ask your followers to support our cause.
- Take lots of pictures of your training for Celebrate the Movement! Share them on social media and with us!
- Stay tuned to learn about challenges and prizes you can earn...this will be so much fun!