ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The end of life deserves as much respect as the beginning.
Hospice of San Luis Obispo County (Hospice SLO County) is an incorporated non-profit 501(c)(3) agency. Governed by a nine-member Board of Directors, Hospice SLO County has been providing uninterrupted services since 1977 and continues to rely 100% on community donations, fundraising events, grants and bequests.
Hospice SLO County is a Volunteer Hospice and has different protocols than a Medical Hospice including:
• Patients may enter at any time after diagnosed with a life limiting illness.
• Patient and families may continue with services as long as there is a need and resource.
• Patients may continue to receive curative and experimental medical care and treatments.
• Non-Medical focus. Physicians, nursing services, and medications not provided. Patients remain under the medical care of their own physician.
• There is no billing, clients are not charged for services, and no insurer is billed. The cost of care is supported by community donations and fundraisers.
• Focus on providing emotional comfort and companionship for client and respite care for the caregiver, with 24/7 End-of-Life Doula support in the final days.
• Professional and Hospice trained volunteers provide all in-home services. Paid staff train and supervise volunteers, programs, and services.
• Does not provide any medical or nursing care and does not require a license.
• The State Attorney General Monitors Operations.
Hospice SLO County envisions a community that recognizes death as a part of life; where dying and grieving are embraced as natural; where all have access to support services without charge; where no one dies or is left to grieve without comfort.
Hospice of San Luis Obispo County (Hospice SLO County) recognizes death as a natural and personal event. In this spirit, we support the community in working with those near the end of life and the people who love them by providing in-home support, caregiver respite, grief counseling, support groups, community response and education. All free of charge.